Andrew Neish


Tel: 01428 723 483

Mob: 07779 360 393

Part P

What is "Part P"?

"Part P" is the section of the UK building regulations which deals with electrical installations in dwellings. (It's not a qualification and you can't be "Part P qualified".) The requirements are detailed in Approved Document P which can be downloaded from the government's planning portal. It runs to more than 40 pages. The usual way of demonstrating compliance with Part P is to follow the rules described in the current edition of BS 7671, formerly known as the IEE Wiring Regs.

When and where does it apply?

Part P was introduced in 2005. It applies to electrical work in new houses and to changes and additions to the electrical installation in an existing house. It also covers conservatories, garages, outbuildings and gardens.

How does this affect me?

Apart from some types of minor work, all electrical work must either be reported to the local-authority building-control, or be carried out by an electrician who is registered with one of the Government-approved scheme providers. These include STROMA, ELECSA, NAPIT, BSI and NICEIC. By law, all homeowners and landlords must ensure that all electrical installation work meets Part P. Note that it is not the electrician who is responsible!

Why should I use a registered electrician?

The advantages of using a registered electrician are:

Some of the above is taken from the Electrical Safety First website.

How can I check that a contractor is registered?

To check whether someone's registered, including work areas other than electrical, check on the Competent Persons Register.